Sunday, November 13, 2011

Post6

First, in this post, I would like to introduce my understanding of professional communication after the whole semester’s study.

Thinking is the basis of communication. Therefore, all the communications start from one’s self-consciousness of how to express idea clearly. In consulting industry, we define the interpretation of thinking process of as mental model. Mental model is an important factor in effective communication. When try to communicate with different individuals, we should enable to explain our idea clearly and strongly to the respondent; mental model should be varied with the talker’s culture, background, and what he/she is interested.

Professional communication should be with the good faith of the heart. Faith is the bridge to understand the feelings of others. The lack of sincerity of communication is inevitable with prejudices and misunderstandings. Therefore, the exchange of information is distorted.

During the process of learning, I tried to keep a good relationship with our classmates. After every week’s class release, I would go to have lunch with my classmates. Besides, I tried to participate in the class actively, organize the activities, and share my feelings via some of the social network.

The difficulty of second-language speaker is how to express your idea in that language, but not to translate it from your mother tongue to English. In my blog1, Mr. Blackstone mentioned that I had this problem and all this semester I tried to solve this problem. Finally, I found a very good method: trying to recount an article composed by native speaker. In the process, I would have learnt the “native” thinking process of English. I have kept doing this.

In our class, I am confident that my foundation should be weakest. Before I came, I even could not express my idea clearly. As for the usage of English, I always had some grammar errors and word misuse. Therefore, I quite cherished every opportunity that teacher and peers gave comments to my post and review towards my presentation: I have realized my progressing. I don’t feel frustrated about my current performance, by contrast, I have learned a lot from your review.

I know my English is far more to achieve excellent. However, from this course, I have learnt the basic idea about how to interact with individuals, how to handle complicated situation, the method to do a good OP, more importantly, and our group members have established an emotion link and become friends. I guess we have learnt the most essential part of communication: speak others with your heart.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desmond!

    First of all, THANK YOU for everything you have contributed with in our class, from mooncakes to laughter.

    I can totally relate to what you write about not being able to express yourself fully due to language barriers. It is frustrating not being able to find the right words, isn't it? Thinking in English rather than translating everything from your native language is the key to getting rid of this barrier, I agree with you on that point. Interesting method too, and from your speaking progress, it seems as it works.

    Finally, I could tell that you have been speaking with your heart this semester. It really seems like you have been enjoying yourself in this class. Take care now, and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Yida!

    Thanks for all the things you have done for the class! Just like Anna mentioned, the mooncakes and the pizza :) Not forgetting the questions that you asked during Q&A sessions for Rami's group! It definitely brought laughters to the class that help relieve stress for me. This is one reason that I look forward for every lessons, because of the awesome classmates-turned-friends that I have.

    All of us have seen the improvement you made since the very beginning. Now, I can understand what you are saying. Thanks for all the help for SSA2211, when I asked you for help for assignment 2. I really must say THANK YOU for your willingness to help me :) I really appreciate it a lot.

    I am so glad you take every feedback given to you to be a positive one, so that you can continue to improve. I am sure with the willingness to do so, you can soar to greater heights! All the best for SSA2211 exams :)

    Cheers,
    Ai Lin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Des!

    Thank you for everything!! You were definitely the funniest in class, and your initiative in organising the end and the mooncakes and more... you really contributed so much!

    I really feel you have improved the most in English compared to everybody else in class. When you speak, you always have sincerity so no worries over there! Your foundation may not have been strong but you've improved so much over the weeks. When you go back to work this holiday, I know you'll apply what you have learnt in class. It was great to meet you, I hope I see you around in school soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took great pleasure in reading this post, Desmond, for various reasons. For one, I feel that the ideas you express are clear enough that we readers can sense your sincerity and your compassion. This shines through in a few of your statements: " Professional communication should be with the good faith of the heart. Faith is the bridge to understand the feelings of others."

    It also resonates with your conclusion: "I guess we have learnt the most essential part of communication: speak (to) others with your heart."

    You certainly achieved that this term. If we put to a vote which person in class brought the greatest amount of cheer to others, I wouldn't hesitate to guess that you would be chosen. And this wasn't just a matter of your generosity in bringing mooncakes and organizing the final party. The main reason to my mind is that you readily engaged everyone, despite whatever language barriers you (we) might have faced; and you did so with an authentic smile and great enthusiasm.

    This same "good cheer" comes through in this final post, Desmond. You solved any linguistic problems with the force of your personality, or as some people might say, your EQ. And each of us in Group 3 was richer for it.

    All the best in your future --- keep warming the hearts of those around you, and as with this reflection, your adherence to the language norms of English will fall further into place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Desmond,
    Thanks for everything. You are an extremely nice guy. Like what the rest have said, you definitely bring life to the class. I really enjoyed your company. I think that you have improved tremendously in writing as well as speaking. For writing, even though there are still grammar errors, I feel that they are much lesser as compared to your first post. You also put forth your ideas more clearly. Also for presenting, I feel that you have improved tremendously, your pronounciation and sentence structure is also a lot better now as compared to the first time we met.
    All the best dude! Keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Desmond,
    I also agree that you are a very nice person, you are also determined and honest in what you say.
    I will always remember you with you famous "As for the.." :)(I noticed you use that term quite often, even in blogpost)
    Wish you all the best!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Desmond, thanks for working with me on the proposal. And thanks for the pizza session too, it was really nice of you. haha just a note, I think most importantly, you don't have to purposefully attract a girl. It might cause a reverse effect. Let nature take its course. lol. Take care and all the best for your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Desmond,

    I applaud you for your willingness to learn and strive for excellence. Being a fellow Chinese, I can see your conscious effort to translate expressions in mandarin to English. (Pardon me when I corrected your language mistakes) I think that you are a very knowledge man and determined to achieve your goal.

    This is clearly seen from your effort to brush up on your language right from the start and willingness to learn from your peers and teachers.

    “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back." - Irish blessing qoute

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Desmond,

    You almost brought me to tears with your very emotional blog post.

    It was really great that you were in group 3 for this course. Your attitude towards learning which comes out in this last post is sure to stand you in good stead for the future !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everybody~ I really appreciate your help from this course.

    I hope we can re-unite in the following semester~

    all the best with your exam!

    ReplyDelete